Does our current form of government best serve our community needs?
Mike believes that more than the answer, the dialogue and process this question would invoke has significant value to the community. The process of founding/amending a Town Charter, or even deciding whether or not it is necessary, is empowering and allows the community to engage in a discussion about their government's ability to meet their needs.
Specifically, one area of focus during this process that Mike believes deserves in-depth discussion is around the Open Town Meeting form of government.
Philosophically, Mike finds the open town meeting form of government to be the most empowering and democratic of processes; with each resident being able to speak and vote on issues based on their specific interests and concerns. However, in practice, a system that allows, recently, never more than 2% of the population to make decisions that will directly impact the remaining 98%; would seem to disenfranchise more than it would empower. It fundamentally rewards those who can and do come while ignoring those who cannot attend for any number of legitimate reasons.
It seems to Mike, only fair that the town of Wilbraham at least have a thorough discussion about what operational mechanisms the citizens of Wilbraham want to use to run their community.